The UK Home Lending Finance Company Limited and its wholly and majority-owned entities (collectively the “GE Money UK Home Lending Group”) respect your privacy. References in this Privacy Information Notice to “GE Money, UK Home Lending, “we”, “us” and “our” are references to an entity within the GE Money UK Home Lending Group that is responsible for the processing of your personal information.
This information notice explains how we use and share any personal information we collect or have collected about you.>
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
- What does this Privacy Information Notice cover?
- Which GE Money UKHL company do I contact if I wish to discuss my Personal Data and how do I contact them?
- For what purpose does GE Money UK Home Lending Use Personal Data?
- What information do we collect about you?
- Personal Information Sharing and Transfer
- How Long is the Data retained for?
- Your Rights
- Who can I complain to if I’m unhappy about the use of my personal data?
- Additional Information
- How to Contact us?
1.What does this Privacy Information Notice cover?
This Privacy Information Notice applies to the personal information we obtain through various channels, which may be both online and offline collection relating to administration of your former lending account with us, third-party sources, such as brokers and Credit Reference Agencies. As the UK Home Lending Group is closed for new business, we will not use your personal information for Marketing purposes; should this position change in the future we will contact you to obtain your consent to receive marketing information from us.
This Privacy Information Notice also describes the measures we take to safeguard the personal information we obtain and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
This Privacy Information Notice is limited to GE Money UK Home Lending Group and does not apply to personal information obtained through other GE channel websites such as our Careers website, which is subject to the Candidate Privacy Notice available at www.GE.com.
2.Which GE Money UKHL company do I contact if I wish to discuss my Personal Data and how do I contact them?
GE Money Servicing Limited
Tel: 0345 070 4299 (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5.30pm)
PO Box 912, Newport, NP20 9PB
3.For what purpose does GE Money UK Home Lending use Personal Data?
We may use the personal information we obtain to:
- Perform activities relating to account management of your lending account you had with us whilst acting as a responsible lender (including communicating with you in respect of any changes and payments);
- perform data analytics (trend analysis, financial analysis and customer segmentation);
- provide customer support; including relating to complaints and data subject access requests;
- update, administer and communicate with you about your account;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (such as by administering, enhancing and improving our services; managing our communications and customer relationships; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and historic collection activities);
- verify your identity and protect against and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, unauthorised transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure and quality;
We may combine personal information we obtain through various channels for the purposes described above. We may anonymise or aggregate personal information and use it for the purposes described above and for other purposes to the extent permitted by applicable law. We also may use personal information for additional purposes that we identify at the time of collection. We will obtain your consent for these additional uses to the extent required by applicable law.
The legal basis for GE Money UK Home Lending Group processing your personal information as described above will typically be one of the following:
- Your consent;
- Performance of a contract with you or a relevant party;
- Our legitimate business interests; or
- Compliance with our legal obligations.
4.What information do we collect about you?
We may obtain personal information through the various channels (including but not limited to our GE Money website, email, telephone conversations, written correspondence and public sources). The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- contact information (such as name, phone, email and postal address);
- biographical and demographic information (such as date of birth, age, gender, job title/position, marital status and dependent, spousal and other family information);
- lending and customer service history;
- financial information (such as payment information, including name, billing address and payment card details (i.e., card number, expiration date and security code); bank account information; financial statements; historic income, expenditure information; and credit score);
- location data (country and post code, personal IP address);
- physical or mental health data (in limited circumstances);
- contact information you provide about friends, family or other people you would like us to contact; and
- In addition, in-connection with our insurance and loan products, we may have historically obtained National Insurance numbers or other government-issued ID numbers and tax ID numbers during your relationship with us.
Please note that the personal information we hold about you relates to your account with us, and was provided by you voluntarily to enable us to offer you the product and services you have received on a contractual basis, without this data being provided to us we would not have been able to offer you credit at the time or carry out our regulatory requirements as a responsible lender before offering you credit and on-going administration of your account with us. When your account is closed with us, your personal information is only retained in accordance with our document retention policy and only for as long as necessary, at which point it will be disposed of.
At time of offering you our products and services to you we may have used such automated or profiling tools to assist with making our lending decision, using the personal data provided by you with other information sources available to us, such as credit reference agency data, court data and insolvency service data, this would have enabled us to come to our lending decision. Influencing factors that may affect our lending decision typically included:
- length of residency at their address;
- the numbers and types of credit products the person may have;
- whether the person has been late making payments;
- whether a person has had any court judgements made against them; and
- whether a person has been bankrupt or been a party to an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) or other form of debt-related management programme.
The above examples would be typical of a lending institution carrying out its responsible lending activities to ensure it only sold products that are affordable and suitable for the customer’s circumstances preventing people and businesses from getting into more debt than they can afford and reduce the amount of unrecoverable debt and insolvencies.
We may where necessary wish to process additional special category data relating to health circumstances, subject to this information being voluntarily provided by you and being relevant to us effectively managing your account. If we deem this to be necessary, we will request your explicit consent to process this information.
As mentioned above GE Money UK Home Lending Group is no longer offering credit lending products or services and manages administration activities relating to its residual organisation, consequently no tools relating to profiling or automated decision making are in effect against any personal data retained.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
This website (www.gemoney.co.uk) does not automatically capture or store personal information, other than the users IP address which can be used to analyse visitors to the website.
Our website may provide links to other third-party websites and features, or contain third-party cookies, that are not owned or controlled by the GE Money UK Home Lending Group. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of third parties, which are subject to their respective privacy policies.
5. Personal Information Sharing and Transfer
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information about you except as described here or at the time of collection.
- We may share personal information within the GE Money Home Lending Group and that of our parent companies within the GE Corporation for the purposes described in this Privacy Information Notice.
- We may share personal information with service providers we have retained to perform services on our behalf (such as customer support, payment processing, and data analytics). These service providers are contractually required to safeguard the information and are restricted from using or disclosing the information provided to them except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
- We may share your personal information with Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs) as part of maintaining our requirements as a responsible lender. Please visit the following links to learn more about how they process your personal information.
- We may disclose personal information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (2) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials to comply with a legitimate legal request, (3) when we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, (4) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights, (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraud or illegal activity or (6) otherwise with your consent.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event of a potential or actual sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganisation, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation). In such case, we will require the relevant third parties to provide comparable levels of protection as the GE Group provides with respect to the information we share. The GE Money Home Lending Group are all UK originated companies and maintain databases here in the UK. As we are part of the wider GE Group, we may have operations inside and outside of the European Economic Area, and personal data may be accessed or viewed in those locations, including the U.S. Where any such transfer in accordance with this privacy information notice occurs, it is protected by UK/EU data protection standards, in addition to the statutory laws. The GE Group has entered Binding Corporate Rules governing our handling of personal information of residents of the European Union.
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, the transfer of your Personal Information from the EEA and Switzerland to the U.S.is covered by the Privacy Shield frameworks developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, European Commission, Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner.
6. How Long is the Data retained for
Your personal data is retained in accordance with our data retention policy and ensures that data is not kept for longer than necessary, and where there is no longer any reason for the data to be retained it is securely disposed of.
Your personal data will generally be kept for six (6) years after your account is closed with us, it may be kept for longer for things like fraud prevention, audit purposes, if applicable for the exercise of defence or legal claims. When we determine the retention period consideration is given to limitation of legal liability periods, agreed contractual provisions, applicable regulatory requirements and industry standards
You have a number of rights available to you when it comes to the processing of your personal data.
7.1 Data Access
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all your personal information, please contact us at the following address: GE Money Home Lending, PO Box 912, Newport, NP20 9PB. Tel: 0345 070 4299, Monday - Friday,9am - 5.30pm.
We will not charge you for this service. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information.
7.2 Right to Rectification
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. If you believe the personal data, we hold about you is inaccurate you have the right to challenge it. You may ask us to update, correct or erase information you think is inaccurate.
7.3 Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’) or Right to Object
From 25th May 2018 under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), you will have the right to request your personal data to be deleted or alternatively object to your personal data being processed in certain circumstances. You should contact us with any such request. Whilst you may make such a request, you should know that your right to object or request for deletion does not automatically lead to a requirement for the processing to stop, or for your personal data to be deleted in all circumstances.
The data held by us is important to ensure compliance with our legal and regulatory obligations or our legitimate interests as a responsible lender, preventing fraud and money laundering, compliance with contractual provisions, and legal liability limitation periods. It will be very rare that we do not have a compelling, overriding grounds to carry on using the personal data following an objection or request for erasure.
As referenced above we only keep the data for as long as necessary in accordance with our data retention policy, otherwise it will be disposed of, to ensure we do not keep personal data for longer than necessary.
7.4 Right to request restriction of Processing
As mentioned above from 25th May 2018 the General Data Protection Provisions in some circumstances, allow you to ask us to restrict how we may use your personal data. Your rights are set out in Article 18 of the GDPR. The right is not absolute and may still allow us to continue processing your personal data where certain grounds are established
- With your consent;
- For the establishment, exercise, or defence of legal claims
- For the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person;
- For reasons of important public interest
Only one of the above grounds needs to be demonstrated to continue data processing. Legal limitation periods in the UK are generally based on a six (6) year period from the end of your lending relationship with us for this reason it is worth noting, as mentioned above our retention policy is based on a six-year principle of retaining personal data as we may need to rely on the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims within this period. For the reasons given in this Privacy Information Notice it will be very rare we will be required to restrict processing of your personal data.
7.5 Right to Data Portability
New data protection legislation also contains a right to data portability that may give consumers a right in some data processing contexts, to receive their personal data in a portable format when it’s processed on certain grounds, such as consent. This is not a right that will apply to us as this data is processed on the grounds of legitimate interests.
If you provided your consent to us processing your personal data, you may withdraw consent you previously provided to us or object at any time to the processing of your personal information on legitimate grounds relating to your situation, and we will apply your preferences going forward as appropriate. To request to exercise these rights, please contact us as indicated in the How to Contact Us section of this Privacy Information Notice.
We offer you certain choices in-connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section of this Privacy Information Notice.
8. Who can I complain to if I’m unhappy about the use of my personal data?
We endeavour to ensure we deliver the best customer service levels but you have the right to raise a complaint with us if you are not happy with the processing of your personal data. Please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us section of this Privacy Information Notice.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to escalate your complaint about personal data to our nominated Head of Compliance. Please refer to contact details provided under the How to Contact Us section of this policy.
If you remain unsatisfied with the handling of your personal data after we have investigated your complaint, you may also refer your concerns to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the body that regulates the handling of personal data in the UK. You may contact them by the following methods:
- Phone on 0303 123 1113
- Writing to them at Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
- Going to their website at www.ico.org.uk
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards, consistent with legal requirements where personal information was obtained, designed to protect against unlawful or unauthorised destruction, loss, alteration, use or disclosure of, or access to, the personal information provided to us.
9. Additional Information
Children’s Personal Information
This website is not directed at children under the age of thirteen (twelve in Scotland) and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (twelve in Scotland) on this site or any other GE sites.
Changes to this Privacy Information Notice
This Privacy Information Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our information practices. We will indicate at the top of this Privacy Information Notice when it was most recently updated.
10. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Information Notice or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us at:
Tel: 0345 070 4299 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 5.30pm)
Post: GE Money Home Lending, PO Box 912, Newport, NP20 9PB
If you wish to escalate a complaint about your personal data, you can do so by contacting us at Building 2, Marlins Meadow, Watford, WD18 8YA